Pharma company shares surge on favourable Q2 report

Valeant-Pharmaceuticals-shares-TSX-profit-revenue-acqusistions-Bausch-Lomb-Salix-EDIWeekly

Shares in Quebec’s Valeant Pharmaceuticals International surged on the Toronto Stock Exchange yesterday after the company released its second quarter earnings report, which surpassed expectations. Shares were trading at $341 per share, giving the company a value of $116 billion. This makes it, at least temporarily, the most valuable company in Canada, ahead of the Royal Bank of Canada at $106 billion. Valeant’s shares have advanced 105 per cent this year. Earlier this year its value passed two other big banks, TD in May and Scotia Bank in February. Valeant is forecasting earnings per share to reach $11.50–$11.80 and revenues of up to $11.1 billion for 2015.

The company has had greater than 15 per cent organic growth—growth in output and increased sales—in four consecutive quarters. In the latest quarter, organic growth was up 19 per cent. Valeant CEO Michael Pearson is “certain” that double-digit organic growth will continue until the end of 2016. Total revenue for the second quarter was $2.7 billion, an increase of 34 per cent over last year. Even a $173-million loss on foreign exchange had barely any effect on the company’s bottom line.

Valeant has also pursued an aggressive mergers and acquisitions strategy in recent years. Earlier this year the company acquired the specialist American firm Salix Pharmaceuticals Ltd. for $11.1 billion. Salix develops drugs and medical devices for treating gastrointestinal disorders. Its latest drug, Xifaxan, is for irritable bowel syndrome and was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in May.

Valeant also acquired eye care giant Bausch and Lomb of Rochester, New York, in May, 2013, for $8.57 billion. Other recent acquisitions include Medicis Pharmaceuticals, Solta Medical and Dendreon. Valeant has just announced that it intends to acquire Amoun, an Egyptian pharmaceutical company, for US $800 million. This will help Valeant expand in the Middle East and North Africa. The company also wants to expand in Latin America.

According to CBC news, only a few non-financial firms have held the top spot on the TSX’s market capitalization ranking. These included the once powerful telecom giant Nortel, smartphone maker Blackberry (formerly RIM), the energy company Encana, and fertilizer company PotashCorp.

Most market analysts are rating Valeant stock as “buy” or “hold,” according to Bloomberg. The company’s business is not expected to slow any time soon. Health care stocks in general have outperformed all others on the TSX over the past year, up 118 per cent.

Did you miss this?

Other Popular Stories

  • GE increasing its investment in fracking technology
  • Canadian companies should look to Mexico for export growth: HSBC Bank Canada
  • Safer tank cars coming as railways ship more oil than ever
  • SPACE 1971 vs today: looking back on the anniversary of Apollo 14's landing on the moon; with new landings planned, how much have we advanced?
  • Toronto researchers reveal spray-on photovoltaics
  • Air Canada signs MRO contract with Duluth provider
  • Bombardier to test fly CS300; equity offering increased
  • A supersonic jet with no front window? NASA's X-59 uses a 4K monitor instead.
  • World's largest public transit system to be built in only 5 years — in Riyadh, capital of Saudi Arabia
  • Google's self-driving cars revealed to media for first time
  • US energy self-reliance, pipeline uncertainty put Canada's energy sector at risk
  • Aerospace in Ontario: More than 200 aerospace companies, 21,000 skilled employees and half of the top 25 global firms
  • Swiss tech does the impossible, creates white solar panels
  • Daimler Records Big Profits and 2018 Plans
  • Manufacturing index rises, conditions "robust" in October: RBC
  • Silicon Valley North: Canada aims to rival Silicon Valley due to better access to highly skilled workers on expedited visas
  • Deep Roads — researchers propose taking road expansion underground to reduce congestion and pollution
  • Electric bush plane: combined project of Zenair and Solar Ship combines rugged short landings with green technology
  • Wind to provide 20 per cent of world's electricity by 2030: report
  • Civil Engineering Design: What it Takes to Engineer the World’s Longest Tunnels
Scroll to Top