Japex to buy into west coast LNG development

The Japan Petroleum Exploration Company (Japex) will buy a 10 per cent stake in a Petronas liquefied natural gas (LNG) development project in British Columbia. Petronas, the Malaysia-based oil and gas company, will hold the remaining 90 per cent. The development, known as the Pacific Northwest LNG project, will include the construction of an LNG plant on an island offshore from Prince Rupert, BC.

pipeline-TransCanada-shale-gas-LNG-Montney-Japex-Petronas-Canada-Japan-energy-EDIWeekly
TransCanada Pipeline is expected to build the pipeline from the North Montney shale block to the west coast, a distance of 750 kilometres.

Japex would take approximately 1.2 million metric tons per year from the development and market it in Japan, the world’s largest importer of LNG.

Petronas, as the Japex announcement indicates, has “extensive experience” with LNG. The company has been operating in Canada, where it has been producing and selling natural gas, and plans to transport the gas by pipeline to the west coast.

The project would involve two plants, each with a capacity of 6 million metric tons per year, at a cost of between $9 billion and $11 billion. The development would be operational in 2018.

TransCanada Pipeline is expected to sign a contract with Petronas to build the pipeline, which will run 750 kilometres from the North Montney shale gas block to the LNG plant. The block is estimated to contain several trillion cubic feet of gas, enough to provide feedstock to the new LNG plant for at least twenty years.

A new company, Japex Montney Ltd, will operate from Calgary in dealings with Petronas and with Progress Energy Canada. The Japanese government holds a 34 per cent interest in Japex.

Did you miss this?

Other Popular Stories

  • GPS III set to launch December 18: U.S. Air Force to launch via Space X Falcon 9 paylod; will be harder to jam, more secure and accurate
  • Canada's economy grew in Q4, manufacturing up in December
  • Consumer spending drives strong GDP growth in second quarter
  • Scientists control superconductivity using spin currents
  • Daimler Records Big Profits and 2018 Plans
  • Automation-proof jobs, and jobs that will eventually be automated
  • World's fastest electric car sets new performance benchmark for EVs
  • Wind capacity reaches 82,183 megawatts in US, enough to power 24 million homes
  • World's largest offshore wind turbines would mimic palm trees to withstand winds
  • Greater transparency, accountability called for in new homes warranty plan for Ontario
  • Elon Musk's stainless steel "Starship" from SpaceX — orbit test in six months, then on to Mars?
  • Canada's auto sales soar; Toyota passes 100K mark for hybrids
  • Jaguar Land Rover Set to Move Discovery Production from United Kingdom to Slovakia
  • Detroit-Windsor bridge approval cheered in Canada, US
  • Canadian work in composite materials honoured with innovation awards
  • First new Canadian refinery in 30 years now on track for 2017
  • Transportation workers urge quick response to Lac-Megantic report
  • 50,000 smaller Ontario manufacturers miss out on the 17 per-cent cut to electricity bills
  • Robocop becomes real-world: robot law enforcement in Dubai may bring Robocop to a neighborhood near you
  • Highly Accurate Counting Technique from National Institute of Standards and Technology
Scroll to Top